Hankard Environmental is seeking a full-time science/engineering consultant for our Verona, Wisconsin office (Madison area).
We are an acoustical consulting firm specializing in environmental noise. Our work focuses on renewable and other energy projects, mining, land development, concert venues, and a host of other smaller projects. We consult with developers, owner/operators, utilities, municipalities, and law firms. We are experts in the measurement, prediction, and control of environmental noise from large-scale facilities, and have been in business for over 30 years. We currently have four full-time and two part-time members on our team.
The job responsibilities for a successful candidate will have include:
- Field work, including conducting attended and unattended measurements for both ambient and compliance surveys across the U.S.;
- Modeling noise from proposed projects using noise-specific software (primarily SoundPLAN), spreadsheets, MATLAB, and GIS;
- Interacting with clients (mostly by phone/online/email);
- Preparing technical reports, graphics, and maps;
- Reviewing and applying the standards and procedures that inform the acoustics profession
- Membership in INCE and ASA and participation in preparing papers and advising on standards development; and
- Presenting technical information at public meetings, hearings, and conferences.
CAREER CHOICE: We prefer someone with a demonstrated inclination toward acoustics, but the job responsibilities do not explicitly require expertise with acoustics.
EDUCATION: 4-year science/engineering degree required.
WORK EXPERIENCE: We prefer a candidate with entry to junior level experience (0 to 5 years) in acoustical consulting, environmental consulting, or a related scientific field.
CERTIFICATION: INCE certification and PE a plus but not required.
We value a variety of skills at our firm, including for this position the following in roughly the order of importance:
- Technical and analytical skills (computer and electronic equipment, spreadsheets, and data analysis).
- Experience with report preparation, writing, editing, and use of graphics software. The ability to present technical material clearly and concisely is important for this role.
- GIS and MATLAB experience.
- Self-starter with organizational skills. This is a small firm and everyone needs to be able to work both in teams and on their own.
- Field experience including the use of measurement equipment. This position will involve being outside in different types of weather (year-round with daytime and nighttime measurements).
- Ability and willingness to travel for measurements and meetings (up to 25% of the time).
- Noise modeling experience, particularly SoundPLAN.
For most candidates, especially recent graduates, you must be based in or willing to relocate to the Madison, Wisconsin area. Most of our staff is located in Wisconsin with one person based in Colorado. You will be primarily working at our office in Verona, Wisconsin which is 10 miles from downtown Madison. Field work occurs across the U.S. with a current focus in the Midwest and Northeast.
Salary and Benefits
Hankard Environmental is an equal opportunity employer. We pay competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education. Paid sick and personal time and eight holidays per year. We offer a SIMPLE IRA plan with a company match (limited). We do not offer health insurance.
You will be asked to provide at least two professional references if the initial screening indicates a potential match.
If qualified and interested please send your resume with a cover letter to: HEIPositionFeb20242@hankardinc.com